Current Scenario of Medical Visa in India
Visa for your Medical visit is issued by the government of India. You can get the visa extension if required for your medical treatment for over one year. He or she can visit India on medical tour in India, thrice in a year, with attendant.
Validity of visa and the extension of visa
Initial stage, a visa is valid for the period of the treatment. That can be extended further for a year by the FRROs or the State Government if the patients is advised or Doctor suggest for further treatment plan by recognized medical institutions in India. If further stay is required after this also the Ministry of Affairs has the power on recommendation of FRROs or the State Government after validation of all the medical records. In this scenario visa is valid for a maximum of 3 visits to India in span of one year.
In case of emergency permission for one extra entry can also be granted by FRRO/the State government
Find below the procedures and the conditions for which one can apply for a medical visa to India:
- The Indian Posts/Mission can examine the medical papers in a careful manner to feel satisfied to look for the genuine reasons for which the medical treatment visa is being applied.
- Visa must be granted for getting medical assistance only at reputed/specialized/recognized hospitals in India. Though the following list is not complete but these can be some of the diseases such as ophthalmic disorders, Kidney disorders, Neurosurgery, Total Knee replacement, Cardiac Surgery, General Surgery, Plastic surgery, organ transplant and so on. The must thing is the mission need to be satisfied that the foreign national patient is in a serious need of medical treatment in India.
Medical Guidelines to follow
Following are some important medical guidelines to follow to avoid any kind of problem in medical treatment.
- Make sure that the hospital in India that you are visiting is authorized or not. If it has got recognition from a Joint Commission International, a commission or any international healthcare auditing agency. The quality care and the cost of the patient care are two other important factors.
- All the important details about the doctors at the hospital should be collected before you select them. Always check their qualifications, credential, and achievements.
- Another important thing is that the patient should well aware about the medical treatment and procedure that he/she has been advised by the doctor to avoid misunderstanding & helps in expectations from the surgery to be realistic. He or she must also have knowledge about physical therapy, recovery time, and post-surgery self care.
- Always consult your doctor before the procedures start. Personal examination and tests of the patients are done by most of the hospitals, before performing any medical process that are mandatory. There is also a chance that the doctor might not consider you fit for the treatment or procedure and can also advise for another treatment after the diagnosis.
- Keep all the necessary documents along with their photocopy safe.
- Maintain all the medical reports, and health records such as health history, X-rays, photograph, scans, MRI’s immunization records, etc., that can be asked and required for your treatment later.
- Really important your Visa and Passport, along with other things like debit cards, and yes, some local currency.
- Carry your driver’s license also.